Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global's DTV Plans

Everything you need to know about Global's switch to digital, including dates and channel numbers, can be found at the following link.

http://www.shaw.ca/Television/About/Digital-Transition/

Shaw Direct has also set up a website with more info on Global's switch to digital

http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...talTransition/

http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...ion_041811.pdf
    Last edited by TVViewer; 07-27-2011 at 01:33 PM.

I think it would be in Shaw Media's best interest to switch Fort Erie and Sarnia over to digital sooner rather then later. The majority of stations in these markets will be digital only after Aug 31, 2011.

Also are you sure the Fort Erie station will stay active? It's on channel 55. If they want to keep that station broadcasting, I would think they would have to move to a channel below 51.

I know TVO for example is migrating all full power transmitters that have a channel assignment of 52 or higher to digital in non mandatory markets.

CKMI Montreal will use CBC's DTV antenna, and CBC has informed Shaw Media that the CBC antenna will not be ready by the August 31st date, the projected date for CKMI Montreal (and CBC Montreal) to start broadcasting in digital is September 30th 2011. Since Montreal is a mandatory market CKMI-TV Montreal is still required to shut off its analog signal on August 31st.
    More of the same typical BS from the CBC. They are by far the worst of all the major broadcasters. In addition to the items above, they are not planning to upgrade London to digital so London loses CBC OTA this summer. Also viewer's in Moncton, NB will be cutoff from CBC OTA access as they plan to put the transmitter in Fredericton.

Sorry that is a typo on my part, CIII Fort Erie will stop broadcasting in analog on August 31st 2011. I will edit the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    More of the same typical BS from the CBC. They are by far the worst of all the major broadcasters. In addition to the items above, they are not planning to upgrade London to digital so London loses CBC OTA this summer. Also viewer's in Moncton, NB will be cutoff from CBC OTA access as they plan to put the transmitter in Fredericton.
    Yeah I agree CBC is by far having the most issues and causing the most problems with the DTV transition. I know CBC has money issues and I understand the economic challenges on switching to digital but every Canadian that pays taxes pays for the CBC, so it really should be a priority for them to ensure that everyone who pays for CBC can receive CBC

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Yeah I agree CBC is by far having the most issues and causing the most problems with the DTV transition. I know CBC has money issues and I understand the economic challenges on switching to digital but every Canadian that pays taxes pays for the CBC, so it really should be a priority for them to ensure that everyone who pays for CBC can receive CBC
    Agreed, that is exactly why they have such a wide analog footprint, as part of being a public broadcaster they are essentially expected to have an OTA signal in any moderately inhabited area.

Barring that, they should be required to provide the signal FTA via satellite for those in hard to reach or underpopulated areas. But last I checked they had encrypted their satellite feeds.

Really, this transition may have been better handled by a FreeView type system like the UK went with, several investors (including the BBC) and a wide reach offering OTA for free still. BBC's share comes from the license fees while the other networks try and make it back with ad revenue.

Of course they won't do that here because the broadcasters happen to be closely tied to BDUs who would kick up a storm if someone tried to offer their basic service for free.

TVViewer,

I would assume CIII Fort Erie will probably remain off air permanently. I believe the contours of CIII Toronto will cover Fort Erie when they launch their post transitional digital channel on UHF 41.

The Fort Erie analog transmitter was added in the late 80s/early 90s to accommodate CIII Toronto's analog signal being directional. My understanding is the digital signal will be omni directional

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post

I think (going by memory) that most of the CBC transmitters out on the east coast are the most expensive to replace; approx $1million per transmitter and will be replaced over time. Right now the $932 million the CBC get from the Government is only for operating costs, not capital projects.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

My big question is how many of these will be carried on Shaw Direct. They already have very little space for new HD channels and there is going to be this influx of new OTA HD channels in September. I hope that they don't add these at the expense of specialty channels. OTA channels are fine and everything, but anyone who wants their local OTA channel can pick it up with an antenna (I guess the exception being CBC outside of Fredericton for example) or get cable.

Does Global intend to provide a Direct-to-BDU HD feed of their Halifax, Kelowna, Lethbridge, Montreal, Regina and Saskatoon stations in the coming months before the digital transmitters go up and running?

CKMI Montreal will use CBC's DTV antenna, and CBC has informed Shaw Media that the CBC antenna will not be ready by the August 31st date, the projected date for CKMI Montreal (and CBC Montreal) to start broadcasting in digital is September 30th 2011. Since Montreal is a mandatory market CKMI-TV Montreal is still required to shut off its analog signal on August 31st.
    When you mention CBC's DTV antenna, do you mean on the Mont-Royal where CKMI-TV is already transmitting in analog form?

I mean, if CFTM (TVA) intends to flash-cut on August 31 on the Mont-Royal, why would CKMI (Global) wait a month for the same location?
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

When you mention CBC's DTV antenna, do you mean on the Mont-Royal where CKMI-TV is already transmitting in analog form?

I mean, if CFTM (TVA) intends to flash-cut on August 31 on the Mont-Royal, why would CKMI (Global) wait a month for the same location?
    It sounds like Global is getting a CBC transmitter that's already on the Mount Royal candelabra tower, and that CBC isn't ready to hand it over to them until late September.

(That's my guess on the statement).

Does Global intend to provide a Direct-to-BDU HD feed of their Halifax, Kelowna, Lethbridge, Montreal, Regina and Saskatoon stations in the coming months before the digital transmitters go up and running?

CBC (the antenna owner) is making upgrades to the antenna for CKMI Montreal to broadcast in digital, CBC has informed Shaw Media that the upgrade/retrofit is not expected to be complete until September 30th 2011. That's all I have.

As for Direct to BDU HD feeds, your best bet would be to contact your local BDU.

CBC (the antenna owner) is making upgrades to the antenna for CKMI Montreal to broadcast in digital, CBC has informed Shaw Media that the upgrade/retrofit is not expected to be complete until September 30th 2011. That's all I have.
    Ah, nevermind, I figured it out by reading another forum.
    On the Mont-Royal tower, there are many FM stations sharing the same antenna. When it comes to digital broadcasting, CBFT-DT (19), CBMT-DT (21) and CKMI-DT (15) will share the same antenna. If CKMI-DT would have kept originally assigned channel 51, they would have to put their own antenna on the Mont-Royal. CFTM-DT (10) will probably share the same antenna with CFCF-DT (12) since they're on the VHF-Hi band, a few frequencies apart.

As for Direct to BDU HD feeds, your best bet would be to contact your local BDU.
    Vidéotron offered CFTO HD on channel 607, then remplaced it with a direct-to-BDU feed of CFCF HD on December 1st, 2009.

Vidéotron currently offers CIII HD on channel 608, so when Shaw will provide a direct-to-BDU feed of CKMI HD, it will be replaced. So my best bet would be to contact Shaw (or a Shaw representative like you), not Vidéotron. That's why I asked you. ;)
    Last edited by InMontreal; 03-06-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Ah, nevermind, I figured it out by reading another forum.
    On the Mont-Royal tower, there are many FM stations sharing the same antenna. When it comes to digital broadcasting, CBFT-DT (19), CBMT-DT (21) and CKMI-DT (15) will share the same antenna. If CKMI-DT would have kept originally assigned channel 51, they would have to put their own antenna on the Mont-Royal. CFTM-DT (10) will probably share the same antenna with CFCF-DT (12) since they're on the VHF-Hi band, a few frequencies apart.

Vidéotron offered CFTO HD on channel 607, then remplaced it with a direct-to-BDU feed of CFCF HD on December 1st, 2009.

Vidéotron currently offers CIII HD on channel 608, so when Shaw will provide a direct-to-BDU feed of CKMI HD, it will be replaced. So my best bet would be to contact Shaw (or a Shaw representative like you), not Vidéotron. That's why I asked you. ;)
    I'm not Shaw's representative. The best way to get your answer is to contact your local cable company.

I'm not Shaw's representative.
    Sure you're not ;) You're just in love with Jim Shaw.

Now where'd that other thread go...I can't reply if I can't find it!

Apparently, CFSK-DT Global Saskatoon went live today, channel 42, PSIP 4.1.

Global

I live in London, and do not get the Channel 6 because of all the radio stations. I do get Channel 29 out of Oil Springs. They should have to change that over to digital as well, as this reaches London which is a manitory market.

Shaw posted the timetable for Global stations:
    http://www.shaw.ca/Television/About/...obal-Channels/

According to another forum, CISA (Global Lethbridge) will sign-off from analog 7 tuesday July 26th after the morning news and come back later that day in digital on channel 7.

Global Lethbridge HD is also availabe on Shaw cable channel 211. It was added on July 6th.