Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

NBC Affiliate Refuses to Air 'The Playboy Club'

NBC Affiliate Refuses to Air 'The Playboy Club'
    from hollywoodreporter.com

NBC’s Salt Lake City affiliate KSL-TV has opted against airing the network’s upcoming fall drama The Playboy Club, citing objectionable content.

The Utah station said Monday that Playboy Club, which stars Eddie Cibrian and Amber Heard in a 1960s-set club where crooners, mob bosses and politicians mingle among Chicago’s elite, doesn’t fit with its mission.

“The Playboy brand is known internationally,” KSL president and CEO Mark Willes said in a statement. “Everyone is clear what it stands for. We want to be sure everyone is clear what the KSL brand stands for, which is completely inconsistent with the Playboy brand.”

The station is owned by Deseret Media Companies -- which is controlled by the Mormon church -- whose mission is to “champion values that have been cherished by good people from diverse backgrounds for centuries.”

"While we are disappointed with KSL's decision, we are confident that the show will find another home in the Salt Lake City market," NBC said in a statement.

more

I Doubt they will be the last (although I hope i'm wrong), KSL isn't NBC's only conservative affiliate. I remember a bunch of them refused to air a perfectly good drama that centered around a priest a few years ago.

I really don't think a show like this can work on a broadcast network. If it was developed for HBO or Showtime then it would probably do great for them, but since it's airing on NBC it will be too watered down for the people that like this type of stuff, while at the same time too controversial for the right wing conservatives.

That being said, NBC really needs to find an affiliate in Salt Lake City that isn't owned by the Mormon church. That's just another reason why it's better for the network to own all its affiliates.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Reminds me of WBNA-TV in Louisville, Kentucky, which was a conservative religious station and a The WB affiliate, so they programmed infomercials instead of TV series Savannah, Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Unhappily Ever After.

Infos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBNA
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

That's just another reason why it's better for the network to own all its affiliates.
    100% disagree. There is far too much concentration of media in this day and age. Companies like NBC already control a lot of specialty channels (E!, USA, SyFy), Content (Universal) and delivery (Comcast).

Same can be said about all the major Canadian broadcasters as well.

I think that the networks owning affiliates works better, but it would never work in a big country like the US. Many things get pre-empted by locally owned affiliates, including sports events and primetime programming. NBC has to schedule its Olympic programming to please affiliates (they get together to pay part of the rights fee).

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    That's just another reason why it's better for the network to own all its affiliates.
    That comes from the biggest supporter of Local TV Matters campaign? Surprising!

The network is interested in the biggest markets while the smallest markets can use a retransmitter or go cable only.

Want an example? Until 1997, CKMI-TV owned by CanWest was Quebec City's CBC affiliate, producing a local 5-minutes newscast. When CKMI became a Global station, CBC put up a retransmitter of Montreal's CBMT, which will shut down on August 31, 2011 without a replacement.

As for CKMI, which has transmitters in Montreal, Quebec and Sherbrooke, they changed their city of licence to Montreal and don't give a damn about those 2 other cities anymore.

Same with CIII-TV who changed their city of licence to Toronto and have no local station anywhere else in Ontario. Not even in DMAs like Ottawa, Kitchener, London, Windsor, Sudbury, Barrie, Kingston and Peterborough. These DMA don't even have a local newscast or local advertisements from CanWest... just retransmitters with Toronto News. But Global Thunder Bay is an affiliate and is able to provide local news, while I'm sure CanWest have no interest in buying out and continue to produce local news.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

That comes from the biggest supporter of Local TV Matters campaign? Surprising!

The network is interested in the biggest markets while the smallest markets can use a retransmitter or go cable only.

Want an example? Until 1997, CKMI-TV owned by CanWest was Quebec City's CBC affiliate, producing a local 5-minutes newscast. When CKMI became a Global station, CBC put up a retransmitter of Montreal's CBMT, which will shut down on August 31, 2011 without a replacement.

As for CKMI, which has transmitters in Montreal, Quebec and Sherbrooke, they changed their city of licence to Montreal and don't give a damn about those 2 other cities anymore.

Same with CIII-TV who changed their city of licence to Toronto and have no local station anywhere else in Ontario. Not even in DMAs like Ottawa, Kitchener, London, Windsor, Sudbury, Barrie, Kingston and Peterborough. These DMA don't even have a local newscast or local advertisements from CanWest... just retransmitters with Toronto News. But Global Thunder Bay is an affiliate and is able to provide local news, while I'm sure CanWest have no interest in buying out and continue to produce local news.
    The big networks are just as committed to local programming, if not more committed, than the local independent stations.

Your examples are totally ridiculous. Canwest changed CKMI from a regional station to a Montreal station because the station was losing an incredible amount of money as a regional station, an independent owner would have done the same thing. I find it hilarious that you are using how they tried to improve the stations financial situation as an example. Also, just because they are now considered a Montreal station doesn't mean they don't cover stories from Sherbrooke and Quebec City anymore, they still do. What you fail to mention is how despite the fact that CKMI was losing money, CKMI continued to have weekend newscasts, the majority of independent stations don't have weekend newscasts. Its the same situation with CIII, Global doesn't have local stations in those markets because they would lose money doing so. According to CTV, most of their Ontario stations lose money. This wouldn't change with an independent owner. It is also ridiculous to expect regional Ontario newscasts to successfully compete against local newscasts. Even more hilarious is how you are comparing CIII to the situation in Thunder Bay. The owner of CHFD (Global Thunder Bay) and CKPR has a total monopoly in the market. If they were willing to sell CHFD Shaw Media would be crazy to not continue operating the station.

To assume that a local independent owner would do a better job at running a station than a network is totally ridiculous. There are tons of examples for why the network owning the station is better, one being that network has more money to invest in the station than a local independent owner can. Some seem to think that network O&O's are the only stations that make cutbacks, well they are wrong, local independent stations make cutbacks to staff and programming too. Many local stations would have been forced to shut down years ago if they had independent owners and weren't propped up by the network.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-14-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    I think that the networks owning affiliates works better, but it would never work in a big country like the US. Many things get pre-empted by locally owned affiliates, including sports events and primetime programming. NBC has to schedule its Olympic programming to please affiliates (they get together to pay part of the rights fee).
    It really does. There is actually a lot of conflict going on right now with the U.S. networks and their independent affiliates. The days of the network paying the affiliate are over, now the U.S. networks require that the local stations give them some of their retransmission fees (some networks want half, others have a set price (ex 50 cents) and new affiliate contracts dramatically limit the amount of programming stations are allowed to preempt. Just last month FOX pulled its affiliation from two affiliates because they wouldn't agree to the new terms. These problems don't exist when the network owns its affiliates

From the viewers point of view, it also works better since it eliminates unnecessary pre-emptions. Network owned affiliates will still pre-empt programming for necessary events like breaking news, election coverage, ect.. but viewers don't need to worry about their programming being pre-empted for unnecessary reasons such as wanting to air infomercials or in this case, the Mormon Church not approving.

I think NBC would have been wise to put this show on USA regardless. They could air it there in the same timeslot and not face any restrictions. I feel the Morman Church is overreacting; however, they do own the station so it is their right to do what they see fit. Then again, this is the same church that pretty much ruined a young man's (and one of the best college basketball players in the US) basketball career because he had sex with his girlfriend.

I get the Detroit affiliates. WDIV (NBC) is famous for pre-empting "lesser" sports events for infomercials on Sundays. And WXYZ (ABC) is famous for pre-empting primetime programming for local specials (that could be aired at say, 7:30).
    Last edited by NB Josh; 06-14-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    I think NBC would have been wise to put this show on USA regardless. They could air it there in the same timeslot and not face any restrictions. I feel the Morman Church is overreacting; however, they do own the station so it is their right to do what they see fit. Then again, this is the same church that pretty much ruined a young man's (and one of the best college basketball players in the US) basketball career because he had sex with his girlfriend.

I get the Detroit affiliates. WDIV (NBC) is famous for pre-empting "lesser" sports events for infomercials on Sundays. And WXYZ (ABC) is famous for pre-empting primetime programming for local specials (that could be aired at say, 7:30).
    Should they have put it on use maybe but having it on the main network i don't think is a bad idea and who knows maybe will be a big hit.

There are good and bad examples. But let's break it down to this:

- USA have over 200 DMAs, where NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX reach 97.3% of Households using in average 220 VHF and UHF full power stations per network. Using Wikipedia's lists, the biggest DMAs (NY, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, etc.) have O&O stations while the 100+ DMAs are most likely ran by affiliates.

- Canada have 43 DMAs (Designated Market Areas), with 1 province being entirely french language (and therefor low priority from english markets) and 3 territories which are non-english and most likely ignored. There are 1 station per network in the top 8 DMAs, and for the rest of Canada there are at least 1 station per network for each province's biggest city, and retransmitters have been placed to reach out population in DMAs too far away from the province's biggest city, unless a local station have already been setup there in the past which could eventually be, if necessary, be shut down and converted as a retransmitter.

As for FOX affiliation moving around as TVViewer mentionned, it's normal. FOX affiliation from WTVW in Evansville, Indiana (population 117,429) will move to WEVV's secondary feed (44.2), which currently carries MyNetworkTV programming. MyNet belongs to FOX so the move is understandable and WTVW went throught different owners.

"Fox is taking a hard line in retrans sharing negotiations. The network is seeking 25 cents of every retrans dollar an affiliate collects in year one of a contract. The amount ratchets up to 50 cents in year four. Sources have said those amounts pertain to Top-10 markets."

That's why Fee-For-Carriage sucks in general. Affiliates must negociate high fees with cable and satellite providers, increasing the bills by at least 5$.

Exclusive: The Playboy Club Lands New Home in Salt Lake City
    Jun 28, 2011 06:03 PM ET
    by Michael Schneider

NBC has found a new home for The Playboy Club in Salt Lake City. KMYU, the Utah capital's My Network TV affiliate, has agreed to pick up the drama and air it in its regular Monday nighttime slot this fall.

KMYU grabbed the keys to The Playboy Club after Salt Lake City's NBC affiliate, KSL, told the network that it refused to air the show. "We respect the position of KSL and are pleased that KMYU can provide a home for The Playboy Club," says KMYU vice president and general manager Steve Carlston. "This highly anticipated crime drama will now have the opportunity to be seen by the viewers throughout (the Salt Lake City market)."

KSL is owned by Bonneville, which is operated by the Church of Latter-day Saints. And the station's brass wasn't comfortable with airing a show that included "Playboy" in the title.

"The Playboy brand is known internationally," KSL President and CEO Mark Willes said in a statement earlier this month. "Everyone is clear what it stands for. We want to be sure everyone is clear what the KSL brand stands for, which is completely inconsistent with the Playboy brand."

NBC Affiliate in Utah Refuses to Air The Playboy Club

KSL also doesn't run Saturday Night Live because of similar content concerns; that sketch series instead airs on Salt Lake City's CW affiliate. KSL had earlier promised to help NBC find a new home for the show in Salt Lake City.

"While we are disappointed with KSL's decision, we are confident that the show will find another home in the Salt Lake City market," NBC said at the time. No other NBC affiliate has announced plans to pre-empt the show.

As part of the deal with KYMU, The Playboy Club will air Mondays at 9 p.m. MT — when the show would have aired anyway on KSL. NBC declined comment on the news.

KMYU is a digital subchannel of Salt Lake City's CBS affiliate, KUTV, and has been a My Network TV affiliate (branded as "My Utah TV") since last September. Nexstar Broadcasting, which is based in Irving, Texas, owns the station.

Set in the 1960s, The Playboy Club stars Eddie Cibrian as a man running for district attorney in Chicago, but having once worked for the mob. He frequents the local Playboy Club, where his life soon intersects with new a new bunny (Amber Heard). Despite the "Playboy" title, the show focuses more on crime drama stories than on the "Playboy lifestyle."

Source: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusiv...b-1034690.aspx