Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

View Poll Results: Vote for the new skin of viewers.ca!

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changes coming to viewers.ca!

Hi everyone,

A few changes are coming to viewers.ca, channelcanada.com and falltvpreview. As you might know, viewers.ca and channelcanada.com has been the idea of myself and John Melville. Starting now, I will be the sole owner of all sites. John has decided to concentrate on other projects and although I feel sad that the collaboration we've had since 1999 (when we launch Channel Canada) is coming to an end, I'm happy of the run we've had together and I whish to say thanks for all those years and best of luck on his future projects.

Channel Canada relaunch
    As you know, Channel Canada has been around a long time (Since 1999) and the site is in serious need of a facelift. Over the past few months, I've been preparing the relaunch of Channel Canada that will go online in a few weeks and I hope you'll enjoy the new look. This is mainly why I have not posted much new articles over the last few months.

Viewers.ca upgrade
    I'm also working on upgrading this site to the new version of vBulletin which will add some new features which will help us find more people to discuss TV in Canada by having better SEO and have the ability to login though facebook as well as having better mobile integration.

Unfortunately, the skin we currently use will not survive the upgrade as the company that created the skin eXtremepixel has disappeared from the face of this earth and the changes made from this version to the current version of vBulletin is too important.

Vote for the new skin of viewers.ca!
    I'd like you, the members to choose the new skin of viewers.ca!

Please vote for your preferred skin and the one with the most votes will be the one I'll pick. Don't worry if your skin is not chosen, you will still be able to select an alternative skin that comes out of the box with vBulletin. Also, if you see a skin not in the list that you think should be added, post the link to it and if there's enough interest, I'll add it to the poll.

Click on the link in the poll to view a preview of each skin!
    [/LIST]

Logo designers, I need your help!
    I'm currently looking for a new logo for all three sites. So if you have the time and expertise, drop me a line so we can discuss this further. A small compensation will be offered and this could look great in the portfolio of a new graphics designer! ;)

Proposal to reorganize the display order
    This is a TV discussion website so shouldn't the TV discussion forums be on top? Here's how I'd like to reorganize the order:

1. Canadian Networks
    2. Specialty Channels
    3. General TV Discussion
    4. American Networks
    5. General Discussion and Support

Proposal to merge forums
    Except for the fall upfronts, there is not much discussion going on the individual US Networks forums (ABc, NBC, FOx, etc). I was thinking of merging them together in a US Networks forum in the "General TV Discussion" grouping. What do you think?

Proposal for the creation of new forums
    I've been asked in the past to consider new forums and now is your time to submit your new forums ideas.

Fall TV Preview - Annual Feedback
    Each year, I ask you to comment on the current site and offer suggestions on how to improve the website. However, due to the upcoming changes to the two other sites, I won't have time to do much design work on falltvpreview.com but when I do, I'll let you know. In the meatime, rest assured that new content will be added throughout the summer.
    Last edited by Randi; 05-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

I agree with changes to forums, makes sense. The site could use a face lift, but otherwise is pretty good.

Many websites experiencing a redesign just flush down the toilet all archives and start from scratch. As a source of information, many references in wikipedia links to a Channel Canada article. Try to keep old articles at their current URLs if possible.

Discussions about american networks usually goes towards simsub strategies, so, no problem here.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Many websites experiencing a redesign just flush down the toilet all archives and start from scratch. As a source of information, many references in wikipedia links to a Channel Canada article. Try to keep old articles at their current URLs if possible.
    This was one of the first concerns we had when considering changing the backend but I have taken steps to assure that old URL will redirect to the new URL format.
    Randi Dertzo

I think now is the time to reconsider the separate subforum for CTV press releases. My vote would be that it is removed since it's not really being used effectively.

- I think it's odd the forum we use to discuss specialty channels is called "Mix Bag." Maybe "General Specialty Channel Discussion" instead?

- The descriptions for the CTV board and the CTV press releases board should say Bell Media, not CTVglobemedia

- The description for the Independent Stations board is "NTV, SunTV, etc.", but SunTV doesn't exist as an over the air station anymore. I think a better description would be "CHCH, NTV, etc."

- Why does viewers.ca need to be a separate site? Why not make it Channel Canada Forums?

As for the skin, that's a tough one. The current skin has a simplicity to it that I don't find in the choices listed.
    Last edited by user; 05-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    - The descriptions for the CTV board and the CTV press releases board should say Bell Media, not CTVglobemedia
    The change has been made.

- The description for the Independent Stations board is "NTV, SunTV, etc.", but SunTV doesn't exist as an over the air station anymore. I think a better description would be "CHCH, NTV, etc."
    The change has been made.

- Why does viewers.ca need to be a separate site? Why not make it Channel Canada Forums?
    That's a good question. The forum initially was part of Channel Canada but it wasn't working mainly (I think) because the forum software available that integrated into Channel Canada's backend weren't very good (I didn't llike the interface, found it bulky) so we decided to go with vBulletin and we created a different URL for that. We could've put it on forums.channelcanada.com but we opted to viewers.ca, I'm not sure I remember why though!

As for the skin, that's a tough one. The current skin has a simplicity to it that I don't find in the choices listed.
    It's a shame the company that made the skin is out of business. I'd probably would've gone with one of their themes if they were still around.
    Randi Dertzo

Great to see that you are making all these changes to the various sites. I think the forum is way overdue for a new look, the current skin is a little bland but I agree with 'user' in liking the simplicity of it.

I concur with 'user' that the forum should be renamed Channel Canada Forums. This would help tie in the forums with your main site (channelcanada.com) and its a better name IMO than viewers.ca.

As for the skin, I don't really care for any of the choices listed but since I had to pick one I went with Life Element (any way to change the color scheme or is that already set?!). I would like to recommend a couple others I came across- Blue Demon (http://www.completevb.com/demovb4/forum.php?styleid=4) and Office Space (http://www.purevb.com/demo/forum.php?styleid=6).

Proposal to reorganize the display order
    This is a TV discussion website so shouldn't the TV discussion forums be on top? Here's how I'd like to reorganize the order:
    1. Canadian Networks
    2. Specialty Channels
    3. General TV Discussion
    4. American Networks
    5. General Discussion and Support
    I like the order you have proposed and I think it makes sense to group the American nets into one forum. Do you plan on keeping the different sub-forums or will those be done away with?! I like the current structure where there is a separate forum for each Canadian network, all discussions for each particular network are grouped together in one section- I would like to see that remain, if possible. The same goes with the specialty channels section, I think some of those forums (Sports, HD & Retro TV) should remain as sub-forums.

On a related note, what will happen to the existing posts in the forum, will that information be deleted once you switch to the new skin or will it be retained?! I would hate lose my TV on DVD lists, perhaps I should create a back up somewhere just in case?!
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 05-17-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I concur with 'user' that the forum should be renamed Channel Canada Forums. This would help tie in the forums with your main site (channelcanada.com) and its a better name IMO than viewers.ca.
    I will need to think this through a little while but I'll let you know!

As for the skin, I don't really care for any of the choices listed but since I had to pick one I went with Life Element (any way to change the color scheme or is that already set?!). I would like to recommend a couple others I came across- Blue Demon (http://www.completevb.com/demovb4/forum.php?styleid=4) and Office Space (http://www.purevb.com/demo/forum.php?styleid=6).
    Whatever members decide to pick, some will not like it. I can't please everyone but if you really don't like the theme, you will have the option to switch for the "default theme" which looks like this. If anyone is interested by those two other themes, post a reply and I'll add them to the poll choices.

I like the order you have proposed and I think it makes sense to group the American nets into one forum. Do you plan on keeping the different sub-forums or will those be done away with?! I like the current structure where there is a separate forum for each Canadian network, all discussions for each particular network are grouped together in one section- I would like to see that remain, if possible. The same goes with the specialty channels section, I think some of those forums (Sports, HD & Retro TV) should remain as sub-forums.
    I was thinking of merging all the post currently on the ABC, CBS, etc. forums into one forum called "American Networks", so no sub forums, just one forum to talk about all the US nets.

For the other forums, nothing will change except the order in which they appear on the main page.

On a related note, what will happen to the existing posts in the forum, will that information be deleted once you switch to the new skin or will it be retained?! I would hate lose my TV on DVD lists, perhaps I should create a back up somewhere just in case?!
    Nothing will be deleted. Even if a forum is deleted, its posts will be moved to the closet matching forum. (For example, if I merge ABC, CBS, etc forums into one "American Networks" forum, all posts will be transfered into that forum, nothing will be lost.)
    Randi Dertzo

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Nothing will be deleted. Even if a forum is deleted, its posts will be moved to the closet matching forum.
    Do you still have old MyNetworkTV messages archived somewhere? If so, import them to the new forum you'll create.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

That's a good question. The forum initially was part of Channel Canada but it wasn't working mainly (I think) because the forum software available that integrated into Channel Canada's backend weren't very good (I didn't llike the interface, found it bulky) so we decided to go with vBulletin and we created a different URL for that. We could've put it on forums.channelcanada.com but we opted to viewers.ca, I'm not sure I remember why though!
    vB4 has a default homepage before you can get to the forums, so you might have to think about merging or somehow bringing the content over from Channel Canada via RSS, RESTful or PHP.

It's a shame the company that made the skin is out of business. I'd probably would've gone with one of their themes if they were still around.
    I got somewhat good news, they have a test site is up and running for vB4 skins: eXtreampixels vB4

Don't know why the main site is down, but you can play around with it, at the bottom of the page you should see a drop down box of the available skins for vB4; you should have the same option once you set up vB4 here, set a default theme and allow users to choose the available themes.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

The Canadian press releases should just say see ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX.

I was thinking of merging all the post currently on the ABC, CBS, etc. forums into one forum called "American Networks", so no sub forums, just one forum to talk about all the US nets.

For the other forums, nothing will change except the order in which they appear on the main page.
    Sounds good, this is a forum about Canadian TV so I think its right that each Canadian network have its own sub-forum. The US nets can all be lumped together, from what I have seen most of the discussion in those forums happens around this time when the new fall season is announced. Technically you don't really even need a forum for the American networks since most of the shows that air on CTV, CTV Two, Global & Citytv are from the US nets. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    vB4 has a default homepage before you can get to the forums, so you might have to think about merging or somehow bringing the content over from Channel Canada via RSS, RESTful or PHP.

I got somewhat good news, they have a test site is up and running for vB4 skins: eXtreampixels vB4

Don't know why the main site is down, but you can play around with it, at the bottom of the page you should see a drop down box of the available skins for vB4; you should have the same option once you set up vB4 here, set a default theme and allow users to choose the available themes.
    With a little digging, I found that the company was sold two years ago. It looks as though they are prepariing to resurface but they don't seem quite ready yet so I'll stay away for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonizer View Post
    The Canadian press releases should just say see ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX.
    Just couldn't resist could ya? I would've been disapointed in you if you hadn't done it! :)

Sounds good, this is a forum about Canadian TV so I think its right that each Canadian network have its own sub-forum. The US nets can all be lumped together, from what I have seen most of the discussion in those forums happens around this time when the new fall season is announced. Technically you don't really even need a forum for the American networks since most of the shows that air on CTV, CTV Two, Global & Citytv are from the US nets. ;)
    I agree but sometimes, there can be the need to discuss scheduling for those networks, important events, cancellation announcements or discussion of shows that are not picked up by a canadian broadcaster.
    Randi Dertzo

To be honest, I don't really see the point in merging the US networks into one forum. Why not just leave them separate, it's not like it is causing some sort of chaos or confusion or anything. They may not get much traffic and action compared to the Canadian networks section, but I think it's enough to keep them separate. Unless there is some sort of cost to Randi, in the sense that for every forum section you have, it costs so much more money. Other than that reason, I don't see any point in changing it. In fact, I'd probably add another sub forum there called "Other US Networks and Stations" for those that don't fit anywhere else like PBS, MyNetwork TV, and the indie stations like Peachtree TV, KVOS, etc.

For the forum skin, too bad you couldn't keep this one. I like it, I like the simplicity of it. Of the choice listed, I'd go with the orange theme.

As for the CTV press release sub forum, I'd say might as well add one for the rest of the Canadian networks, TVViewer adds enough press releases to add one for Global alone.

In terms of forum layout, I'd go with:

• General TV Discussion
    • Canadian Networks
    • Specialty Channels
    • US Networks
    • General Discussion

And with just a few other picky things of mine:
    • In the Mix Bag description, it says PetTV, it's actually called the Pet Network
    • In the indie channels section, Metro 14 will soon enough be rebranded, might as well take it out of there now
    • In the premium channels section, Allarco Entertainment should probably be changed to super Channel

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    As for the CTV press release sub forum, I'd say might as well add one for the rest of the Canadian networks,
    I'm 100% against this. I agree with tofino that we should eliminate the CTV PR forum, it's not being used effectively (PR's are sometimes posted in the discussion forum, discussions sometimes happen in the PR forum) and has turned the CTV forum into a confusing mess with limited discussion and PR's going unnoticed. It would be a shame if the other network forums were turned into a confusing mess as well. IIRC this was done when we had several members replying to every press release with pointless attacks against the networks, we no longer have this problem so there is no longer a reason to keep them separate.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I'm 100% against this. I agree with tofino that we should eliminate the CTV PR forum, it's not being used effectively (PR's are sometimes posted in the discussion forum, discussions sometimes happen in the PR forum) and has turned the CTV forum into a confusing mess with limited discussion and PR's going unnoticed. It would be a shame if the other network forums were turned into a confusing mess as well. IIRC this was done when we had several members replying to every press release with pointless attacks against the networks, we no longer have this problem so there is no longer a reason to keep them separate.
    Umm.. I don't see how is it a confusing mess. PR's are in the PR forum and general discussins are in that forum. People still comment on both of them. Granted, the PR forum was originally meant for no discussion, but big deal if they are being discussed there, it just seperates them, which ideally I think is a good thing. But in the end, I think it would be best to either get rid of the CTV one or add others, but I think I'd prefer to add the others.

And btw, if some pr's are being ignored, maybe people just aren't intersted in them, eh? Also, they don't look to be ignored. Looking at the CTV PR forum, they have pretty decent numbers for how many views they've had. And migh tI say, many with bigger views than general topics. Also again, I looked at the front page of the CTV main forum, there was only one pr there about The Listener. The others are general discussion and schedules, not pr's, at least from my quick view. So, it's not being misused all that much, and if it does, all that has to happen is for it to be moved to the correct place. This is not the only place this happens, users have been placing discussions on CP24 in the CTV forum for awhile, so mistakes happen. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    And with just a few other picky things of mine:
    • In the Mix Bag description, it says PetTV, it's actually called the Pet Network
    • In the indie channels section, Metro 14 will soon enough be rebranded, might as well take it out of there now
    • In the premium channels section, Allarco Entertainment should probably be changed to super Channel
    Done, done and done! I also added Hollywood Suite to the Premium channels list.
    Randi Dertzo

Concerning the press release forum, here's what I propose: When I launch the new Channel Canada, I'll add a RSS feed that will automatically post CTV and CTV Two press releases which will increase the number of new threads in the PR forum and we'll see how people use this info (post a new thread in the main CTV forum or reply to the PR in the PR forum). Just before the fall season,, we'll then evaluate the situation (I'll post a poll as I did with this thread) and make according ajustements. Does that work for everyone?
    Last edited by Randi; 05-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Randi Dertzo

Concerning the press release forum, here's what I propose: When I launch the new Channel Canada, I'll add a RSS feed that will automatically post CTV and CTV Two press releases automatically which will increase the number of new threads in the PR forum and we'll see how people use this info (post a new thread in the main CTV forum or reply to the PR in the PR forum). Just before the fall season,, we'll then evaluate the situation (I'll post a poll as I did with this thread) and make according ajustements. Does that work for everyone?
    I think that'll work, but would it be ok for users to reply and post comments about the pr's in the pr forum or should they create a new thread in the main cTV forum but linking to the pr thread? IMO, I don't see a problem with users replying to the pr forum. I just think it would be a good idea to seperate them because some of the pr's from some users just seem to be used solely for promotion and it would be nice to just seperate the two.