Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

NBC to move Jay Leno to 10:00PM Next Fall!

Hollywood is buzzing with rumors that NBC (in a effort to both keep Jay away from ABC and cut costs) will move Jay Leno to Weeknights at 10:00PM starting Fall 2009!

More on this later as this story is developing.

NBC Universal says that the network may cut back primetime programming hours. If this Jay Leno thing pans out, I can see them going the 8-10 route with primetime programming. Plus its a lot cheaper (in the long run) to do a talk show than dramas, sitcoms etc.

link to the article
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f293732766f1b9

Jay Leno staying on NBC in prime-time

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Jay Leno is staying at NBC, and he's moving to prime time.

The network announced on the "Today" show Tuesday that Leno will host a show on weeknights at 10 p.m. Eastern, after he leaves the "Tonight" show. The network announced earlier that Conan O'Brien is moving to the "Tonight" show to succeed Leno.

The deal not only prevents Leno from moving to another network and competing with O'Brien, but also has the potential to be a big cost savings for NBC.

Dramas at 10 p.m. Eastern used to be a mainstay of network schedules, but they have been fading - particularly on NBC.

One reason is digital video recorders: more people are watching shows they taped earlier than the live 10 p.m. shows.

I hate to say it, but with how bad Heroes has been doing this year, I'm now scared that it may be canceled because of this. On the other hand, Leno will be on at a decent time now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Citytv pick this up. 'A' doesn't really have room for it.

Yeah, the smart money right now has to be on Citytv picking up Leno. They seem to have been in freefall since the sale to Rogers, so clearly they would have the most to gain from some sort of stability in their schedule. And it fits with a lot of the other non-conventional moves they've been involved with lately (stripping a one-hour drama at 7:00, the ill-fated CW/MRC Sunday lineup, etc.)

And it's really the only network that can fit it in. CTV and Global won't do it (and certainly not CBC). E! simulcasts its U.S. counterpart's original programming at 10:00. A is a bit of a wildcard since there will be fewer non-Leno 10:00 options next season, but they may need the time for Cancon, pre-releases, etc.

Sun TV could theoretically fit it in, but given their low coverage, it's not likely unless none of the others want it.

I think if CTV really wanted to they could make room for Leno's show on 'A'

As I said in the Citytv forum, I really expect Citytv to pick this up. It would provide good ratings and fill up 5 hours of space they desperately need to fill.

If CTV picks it up I could see it ending up on The Comedy Network, although I guess that means they can't simulcast it.

a few years ago Canwest tried stripping reruns of That '70s Show & Will and Grace weeknights from 10pm-11pm on CH, that didn't work out very well. Although I guess you could say Jay's show would do better since it would be in simulcast.

I'm thinking that either The Comedy Network or even Star! could pick this up.

The Comedy Network can easily simulcast it with NBC at 10pm - they do that with both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on Comedy Central from 11pm to midnight weeknights.

As for Star!, they already air The Tonight Show with Jay Leno every night at 10pm. The only difference is that they air the episodes in post-release from the night before.

I would not count out Citytv and like TVViewer suggested, this is something that could help their primetime schedule.

There's no way CTV or even Canwest is going to pick up this show and shove it on a specialty channel and not air it on one of their over-the-air networks, it could air on both but not exclusively on a specialty.

This is not the type of show CTV or Global would air, a talk show 5 nights a week in primetime is nothing either of those networks would do. But this is a show that could air on A or E! though. My prediction is, it will either air on A or E!, but if neither Canwest or CTVgm wants it, then it will end up on Citytv. I bet Citytv would jump at the chance to have this show, that's 5 hours a week in primetime filled just like that.
    Last edited by musimax; 12-10-2008 at 09:04 PM.