Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

All 4 NBC SD feeds Free Today on Star Choice

Not really sure where to post this.

Star Choice is offering all four NBC SD feeds (Buffalo, Detroit, Spokane and Seattle) for free today (without the timeshifting package). I don't notice a big difference in PQ between them, but maybe all of them won't be simsubbed for those who want to see the American ads.

I'm not sure what the point of this was. They were all sim-subbed!

Maybe so they wouldn't get calls from people saying "My TV says 'A Subscription is Required to View This Program', What Do I do?" when they tuned into the wrong NBC station. It wouldn't be that hard to find the one that you do get (or one of the many CTV stations), but I'm sure its happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of this was. They were all sim-subbed!
    As quoted by Simonizer in another thread:
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...1&postcount=33
    " ...if you soft reset the receiver you can get the US feeds.
    Turn off the receiver, unhook the sat cable, wait a minute or so, plug it back in and turn it on. Apparently the US feed will stay on for 45 minutes." ...
    I don't know anyone with StarChoice, so I also have no idea if this actually works. But the wikipedia page on simultaneous substitutions similarly claims that StarChoice simsubs are performed at the customer's terminal, as determined by their postal code. If so, I assume people who do not live within a certain distance of a CTV transmitter may have received the actual NBC channels, not simsubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    But the wikipedia page on simultaneous substitutions similarly claims that StarChoice simsubs are performed at the customer's terminal, as determined by their postal code. If so, I assume people who do not live within a certain distance of a CTV transmitter may have received the actual NBC channels, not simsubs.
    From what I understand that is correct. Star Choice does it by your receiver, based on postal code. On the other hand, Bell does it before the signals ever leave the ground, that's why everyone gets simsubbed.

Nice to find this out after the fact!

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    From what I understand that is correct. Star Choice does it by your receiver, based on postal code...
    Well, I guess that could be one advantage to living in the middle of nowhere.

If Global, CTV, and Rogers/Citytv eventually come to the conclusion that OTA stations are not worth operating (because the added expenses of local programming and maintaining transmitters, while not getting the fees for local carriage from BDUs), would that mean an end to simsubbing? Or would they continue buying Cdn rights to American shows and get mandatory simsubs for their cable channels like 'Star!' and Showcase?

As I've mentioned before, Bell inexplicably simsubs TSN for NBC during Sunday night NFL and Saturday afternoon NHL games. Does TSN request this? I assume they may want to be seen by as many people as possible, but Bell is in effect temporarily giving away TSN for free to some people who are not paying for it.
    Edit - Apparently CTVglobemedia owns 80% of TSN, and Bell Canada is 15% owner of CTVgm.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 02-03-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Well, I guess that could be one advantage to living in the middle of nowhere.
    Or anywhere in New Brunswick. There are no local channels (the closest are CBC and CTV Halifax) on Star Choice, so no simsubs.

Or PEI. No simsubs on SD or HD channels.