Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

CBS Cancels Guiding Light

'Guiding Light' ending after 72 years

CBS is canceling the longest-running drama on TV, the daytime soap "Guiding Light."

The network is ending the show after 72 years and more than 15,700 episodes on television and radio. The series will broadcast its final episode Friday, Sept. 18.

" 'Guiding Light' has achieved a piece of television history that will never be matched; it has crossed mediums, adapted its stories to decades of social change and woven its way through generations of audiences like no other," said Nancy Tellem, president of CBS Paramount Network Television Entertainment Group. "This daytime icon will always be an indelible part of CBS' history, with a legacy of innovation and reputation for quality and excellence at every step of the way. While its presence will be missed, its contributions will always be celebrated and never be forgotten."

"Light" launched as a 15-minute network program in 1952, expanded to 30 minutes in 1968, then went to an hour in 1977. In recent years, however, "Light" and partner ďAs the World Turns" have long become a drag on the ticket in CBS' daytime lineup. Two years ago CBS worked with producers of both shows to try to modernize the "Light" production process while cutting costs, using smaller crews shooting with nimble digital cameras.

CBS has not yet announced what will replace "Light."

"No show in daytime or primetime or any time has touched so many millions of viewers across so many years as 'Guiding Light,' " said Barbara Bloom, senior vp daytime programs at CBS. "We thank the cast, crew and producers -- past and present -- who delivered this entertainment institution, the beloved characters and the time-honored stories to our audience every day for seven decades. It's been a privilege to work with such an extraordinarily talented group of people."

The radio show's original story line centered on minister Rev. John Ruthledge and the fictional Chicago suburb Five Points. Today's show is set in the fictional town of Springfield, and revolves around several families.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    'Guiding Light' ending after 72 years

CBS is canceling the longest-running drama on TV, the daytime soap "Guiding Light."

The network is ending the show after 72 years and more than 15,700 episodes on television and radio. The series will broadcast its final episode Friday, Sept. 18.

" 'Guiding Light' has achieved a piece of television history that will never be matched; it has crossed mediums, adapted its stories to decades of social change and woven its way through generations of audiences like no other," said Nancy Tellem, president of CBS Paramount Network Television Entertainment Group. "This daytime icon will always be an indelible part of CBS' history, with a legacy of innovation and reputation for quality and excellence at every step of the way. While its presence will be missed, its contributions will always be celebrated and never be forgotten."

"Light" launched as a 15-minute network program in 1952, expanded to 30 minutes in 1968, then went to an hour in 1977. In recent years, however, "Light" and partner ďAs the World Turns" have long become a drag on the ticket in CBS' daytime lineup. Two years ago CBS worked with producers of both shows to try to modernize the "Light" production process while cutting costs, using smaller crews shooting with nimble digital cameras.

CBS has not yet announced what will replace "Light."

"No show in daytime or primetime or any time has touched so many millions of viewers across so many years as 'Guiding Light,' " said Barbara Bloom, senior vp daytime programs at CBS. "We thank the cast, crew and producers -- past and present -- who delivered this entertainment institution, the beloved characters and the time-honored stories to our audience every day for seven decades. It's been a privilege to work with such an extraordinarily talented group of people."

The radio show's original story line centered on minister Rev. John Ruthledge and the fictional Chicago suburb Five Points. Today's show is set in the fictional town of Springfield, and revolves around several families.
    is too bad that direct tv and superchannel do not put guiding light on their channels like they did for passions. that way guiding light will be saved. i will missed that show.

Passions didn't work for DIRECTV though, and Guiding Light despite having a low budget is more expensive. Passions did work for Super Channel (it worked so well they are currently airing reruns) but that's because Passions had a huge fan base in Canada, Guiding Light's Canadian fan base is not as big.

I wonder if CBS will extend the Bold and the Beautiful to a full hour, than they would have a half-hour slot to fill. I would love to see a re-make of Press your Luck, I miss those Whammies.

<0(((((><

Quote Originally Posted by FishyLynn View Post
    I wonder if CBS will extend the Bold and the Beautiful to a full hour, than they would have a half-hour slot to fill. I would love to see a re-make of Press your Luck, I miss those Whammies.
    lol. how about a remake of pyramid! I used to like it and let's make a deal...

but i doubt they are gonna do this. But it will be nice to see the bold and the beautiful for full hour.

Whatever they replace Guiding Light with, it wont be a soap. Soaps are no longer making money and are cutting costs like crazy. It looks like it's going to be a talk show, although they have been talking about game shows. There has been talk about moving The Price is Right (which is down big time in ratings) and have a new talk show compete with The View, CBS News is even saying that they are willing to produce a 3rd hour of the low rated Early Show.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyLynn View Post

here is a link to what might happen to the bold and the beautiful when guiding light will be finished: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_bold_and_the_beautiful
    This has created speculation that CBS and Sony are considering a move to one hour for this show in September 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by cablecanada07 View Post
    here is a link to what might happen to the bold and the beautiful when guiding light will be finished: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_bold_and_the_beautiful
    This has created speculation that CBS and Sony are considering a move to one hour for this show in September 2009.
    Oh thanks for the link & info I hope it pans out

<0(((((><

To replace the longest-running drama on television, CBS may order remakes of two of the longest-running game shows.

CBS is weighing pilot orders for "Let's Make a Deal" and "The Dating Game."

The network wants to check out updated versions of the shows as part of its effort to fill the daytime slot to be voided by "Guiding Light," the recently canceled soap that ends its historic run in September.

The original "Let's Make a Deal," hosted by Monty Hall, aired from 1963 to 1973 on ABC and NBC, followed by various syndicated versions and remakes over the years. The original "Dating Game" ran from 1965 to 1980 on ABC, followed by several syndicated versions.

Whichever plan they go with. You have to remember that the CBS daytime schedule is slightly different between the East and West Coasts. Guiding Light, I believe airs in the mornings in the East and in the afternoons in the West. I assume they would finally standardize their entire daytime schedule now if they were to add an extra hour of The Early Show. All speculation of course.

According to advanced listings for next week, an extra hour of The Price Is Right will fill the slot normally filled by Guiding Light.

As expected, the new version of Let's Make a Deal will take its place on the schedule and premiere on Monday, October 5.