Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

TNT to air 'Southland'

TNT to air canceled 'Southland'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ie84e5cd17ae0924ccadd15366734f7d9

TNT has only comited to airing episodes already produced. I wonder if CTV can/will air the show?

Considering they liked the show enough to put it on CTV's fall schedule this year I don't see why they wouldn't atleast pickup the 6 un-aired episodes, maybe for /A\ or Bravo! instead of CTV.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Considering they liked the show enough to put it on CTV's fall schedule this year I don't see why they wouldn't atleast pickup the 6 un-aired episodes, maybe for /A\ or Bravo! instead of CTV.
    This brings up something interesting actually, in a previous thread you state that CTV/Global must purchase the entire season of a series they decide to pick up, so even if it gets abysmal ratings domestically they are stuck with it.

Now, how about these series that get canceled in the US and don't air already produced episodes? Why does CTV and Global almost always simply drop the series entirely at the same point as the US network? You already stated they pay for all the episodes, and they aren't buying from the network, they're buying from the studios. So why do they drop them just as soon as the US network airing them does?

About the only time I've seen this not happen was recently with Defying Gravity and Space aired the episodes that didn't air on ABC, but CTV still dropped the series from their schedule.

And what about shows that might be ratings bombs down south but do very well up here, it seems very rare that our networks actually decide to save a show on their own. Take the above example, Defying Gravity, filmed in Vancouver, could easily be saved and also count as Cancon and could easily be sold in syndication down south. Another good example is Dead Like Me, filmed in Vancouver, SHO dropped it because of an exec personally not liking the show, it had a good following, again it could have been saved by a Canadian broadcaster (pay or network).

It just seems that in Canada our networks are committed to being mostly "re-broadcasters" rather than taking a chance and saving some really decent shows. Sure they may have to revamp the show they save to deal with exiting stars but many of these shows don't need much, Dead Like Me you'd likely have lost Mandy Matinkin but the rest would have stayed on in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    This brings up something interesting actually, in a previous thread you state that CTV/Global must purchase the entire season of a series they decide to pick up, so even if it gets abysmal ratings domestically they are stuck with it.

Now, how about these series that get canceled in the US and don't air already produced episodes? Why does CTV and Global almost always simply drop the series entirely at the same point as the US network? You already stated they pay for all the episodes, and they aren't buying from the network, they're buying from the studios. So why do they drop them just as soon as the US network airing them does?

About the only time I've seen this not happen was recently with Defying Gravity and Space aired the episodes that didn't air on ABC, but CTV still dropped the series from their schedule.

And what about shows that might be ratings bombs down south but do very well up here, it seems very rare that our networks actually decide to save a show on their own. Take the above example, Defying Gravity, filmed in Vancouver, could easily be saved and also count as Cancon and could easily be sold in syndication down south. Another good example is Dead Like Me, filmed in Vancouver, SHO dropped it because of an exec personally not liking the show, it had a good following, again it could have been saved by a Canadian broadcaster (pay or network).

It just seems that in Canada our networks are committed to being mostly "re-broadcasters" rather than taking a chance and saving some really decent shows. Sure they may have to revamp the show they save to deal with exiting stars but many of these shows don't need much, Dead Like Me you'd likely have lost Mandy Matinkin but the rest would have stayed on in all likelihood.
    Even though they buy the shows from U.S. studios, they actually pay per episode play on the U.S. network, so the Canadian networks are only stuck with the series as long as the American Network continues to air it, Once the U.S. network cancels the series, they don't have to pay for the un-aired episodes. They only pay if it airs on the U.S. network.

So no, they don't pay for all the episodes, they just pay for the episodes that air on the U.S. network.

With Canadian series such as Defying Gravity it's different, since they buy those series from the Canadian production company, not the U.S. studio.

If a series get's cancelled by a U.S. network they always could buy the un-aired episodes from the U.S. studio, but usually when a show does bad enough to get cancelled in the U.S. it's no hit in Canada.

In the case of Southland, since NBC didn't air any episodes yet, CTV has not paid anything to Warner Brothers for the Southland rights, so they will have to buy the rights for the 6 unaired episodes from Warner Brothers if they plan to air the series.

I think CTV will probably pick it up for 'A'.

Defying Gravity may be a bit different since the show does not only just simply count as Cancon, but I believe CTV itself was actually a partner in the show, so I'm guessing they would automatically still have rights to the show even if the US net dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Defying Gravity may be a bit different since the show does not only just simply count as Cancon, but I believe CTV itself was actually a partner in the show, so I'm guessing they would automatically still have rights to the show even if the US net dropped it.
    Yes, as I mentioned in my post, they only pay per U.S. network plays with shows they purchase from U.S. studios. It's different with Canadian series.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Yes, as I mentioned in my post, they only pay per U.S. network plays with shows they purchase from U.S. studios. It's different with Canadian series.
    So what happens in the summer, when Canadian networks go down to the U.S. to buy these shows? Is any money exchanged then? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    So what happens in the summer, when Canadian networks go down to the U.S. to buy these shows? Is any money exchanged then? I'm confused.
    Well that's when the deals are made and programming contracts are signed, so no, money is not exchanged at that time (although due to it's debt Canwest was asked to pay upfront by some studios this year) just the shows and prices are decided then.

Although they have a rough idea on how much they will pay per year, they don't know exactly how much until the season is over.