Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Ideas for falltvpreview.com

Every year, falltvpreview provides information about new shows and fall programming information of more than 100 channels. The 2007 edition will launch in mid-may when U.S. networks announce their fall schedules. I would like to have you comments and suggestions on improving this website's content and presentation.

I've been doing this fall preview since at least 1998 and plan to do it for many more years but each year, I add more and more feature and it has come to a point where I have to watch out so the quality doesn't pay for quantity. I felt the 2006 edition reached that point. There was just too much work to keep it all in the next edition.

Please comment on any of the following:
    - Comments on the shows page.
    - Comments on the channel info page.
    - Comments on the premiere dates section.
    - Comments on the main page.
    - Comments on the U.S. nets schedules.
    - Any suggestions on new features you'd like to see?

Just for fun, I searched the web archives (it is a website that basically keeps an archive of a website at different dates) and found various past editions of the fall preview. As you'll see it changed quite a bit over the years!
    - 1998-1999 Edition
    - 1999-2000 Edition
    - 2003-2004 Edition
    - 2004-2005 Edition

Feel free to post comments and suggestions here or you can also PM me or e-mail me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Randi; 03-29-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

First I want to say that the FallTVPreview site is great and you & your team have done a AWSOME job.

Can't really think of anything to add, maybe do predictions for the Canadian networks schedules once the american ones are announced or something like that. Or ratings predictons or something like that.

CanView Guest
    Well with the popularity of HD, maybe their should be some special stuff for HD this year?

here is the HD stations in Canada:

CBC Toronto - HD
    CBC Ottawa - HD
    CBC Montreal - HD
    CTV Toronto - HD
    CTV Vancouver - HD
    Global Toronto - HD
    Citytv Toronto - HD
    SunTV Toronto - HD
    OMNI 1 Toronto - HD
    OMNI 2 Toronto - HD

SRC Montreal - HD
    TVA Montreal - HD
    TQS Montreal - HD (possibly, not sure)

So maybe for the shedules for the regular versions of those affiliates, it could be noted it has a HD counterpart, and have its programming that is available in HD marked out?

Then these are the HD channels that are not affiliated with a regular version:

HDNet Canada (similar to HDNet in the USA, but NHL black outs and such - 100% 24/7 HD)
    Discovery Home Theatre Canada (different schedule then Discovery Canada)
    Oasis HD (100% HD)
    Treasure HD (100% HD)
    Equater HD (100% HD)
    Rush HD (100% HD)
    Movie Central HD1 - different schedule then any of the other Movie Central channels
    Move Central HD2 - different schedule then any of the other Movie Central channels
    TMN HD - "ditto"
    Mmore HD - "ditto"
    Mpix HD - "ditto"

The following is a regualr channel with HD versions:

TSN - HD
    Sportsnet - HD
    The Score - HD
    Showcase - HD
    National Geographic Canada - HD
    Raptors TV - HD
    Leafs TV - HD
    Food Network Canada - HD - COMING SOON!
    HGTV Canada - HD - COMING SOON!

And there is some french HD channels.

I don't know if anything I am saying a HD notice would be nice.

Great site from archives though!

First of all, I cannot adequately express how much I LOVE the fallpreview site (and I fear if I did, the stalker police would come calling ;-)! It is SO comprehensive and SO informative that I'm glad I now know WHO to thank...Randi!!! :-)

I'm exhausted after a long week of work, but I hope this weekend to get onto each section you mention above and offer my thoughts. I don't know how helpful I'll be, due to the aforementioned LOVE, but I'll try to be constructively critical. ;-)

All hail Randi!

Gord, the appreciative

The FallTVPreview site is by far one of my favorite pages that I like to visit each year.

Year after year, it just keeps getting better and better. In terms of what more can be added, I really can't think of anything special, other than what has already been suggested. Everything is well done, from the programming schedules to show information, as well as the updates. Last year was no exception - I liked the presentation of the schedule grids for the networks and specialty channels. I am always impressed with the presentation and content for the Canadian networks.

What more can I say? I look forward to this year's FallTVPreview site, and I'm very sure it's going to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Can't really think of anything to add, maybe do predictions for the Canadian networks schedules once the american ones are announced or something like that. Or ratings predictons or something like that.
    Good idea. I'll work something out to add this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
    Well with the popularity of HD, maybe their should be some special stuff for HD this year?
    I don't know exactly how I'll put this in but there will be some HD presence.

Quote Originally Posted by TVGord View Post
    I'm exhausted after a long week of work, but I hope this weekend to get onto each section you mention above and offer my thoughts. I don't know how helpful I'll be, due to the aforementioned LOVE, but I'll try to be constructively critical. ;-)
    I'm looking forward to reading you reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    The FallTVPreview site is by far one of my favorite pages that I like to visit each year.
    Glad to hear it!

So in retrospect, more work for me!
    I'm happy to see all of you like the site in general.
    Thank you all for your comments!

Anyone else would like to comment? You wont be banned for bad comments, I swear! :D
    Randi Dertzo

I like the site a lot but i would say if you wanted to make it better you should get a fresh new layout thats simple and straight forward. The homepage kinda looks clustered and the quicklinks at the bottom of the page is really confusing i think a list with channels and another with new shows would make it seem less crowded or maybe instead of a dropdown list for the channels put the channel logos at the bottom of the page so that way its easier to find the one your looking for.

I hope the info helps.

Quote Originally Posted by someone View Post
    I like the site a lot but i would say if you wanted to make it better you should get a fresh new layout thats simple and straight forward. The homepage kinda looks clustered and the quicklinks at the bottom of the page is really confusing i think a list with channels and another with new shows would make it seem less crowded or maybe instead of a dropdown list for the channels put the channel logos at the bottom of the page so that way its easier to find the one your looking for.

I hope the info helps.
    Thankfully, Tripster has proposed to build a new layout for the site and I'm sure going to take the comments you made when putting content on the new layout. It is a safe bet to say that the quicklinks are gone in the new version. I'll take into account your suggestions when creating the new main page.
    Randi Dertzo

Now that I think of it, Randi, the only criticism I could think of is probably something that's out of your control. I have always wished there could be information, for instance, on the premiere dates of the non-network American shows on Canadian channels (such as Monk, The Closer...right now, I'm trying to find out from CH when and if they are going to have the new season of The Shield, which starts this week in the U.S.).

From my own efforts, I know it's next to impossible to get that kind of info out of the channels and networks (mostly because they don't know themselves).

So--having said all that--I have to say, I'm pretty darn happy with what you do...and can't wait to see the new design you and Tripster create! Best of luck! :-)

CH wont air The Shield til summer. Once a date is set you will see lots of advertising for it.

I appreciate that, TVViewer, but I need something more definitive than that. I do a radio segment about television, and I'm getting emails from listeners who want to know something definite. :-)

I've gotten answers from CH in the past on The Shield and The Closer, but it's hit and miss. Once I get a live person on the phone, they're quite helpful. (Voicemails at many channels/networks often go unanswered.) It's just a matter of making the right call at the right time.

Whenever I call U.S. networks, I almost always get the info I need, but there seems to be a disconnect here in Canada about promotion. It's amazing to me that I often have to explain that I'm asking questions so that I can promote the shows on their outlets! Free advertising, people! ;-)
    Last edited by TVGord; 04-05-2007 at 05:50 PM.

I have been using this page for a couple of years and truely appreciate the work that you put into this. I have noticed this year that the spreadsheets for the Canadian channels are all locked onto the same day. Each day that you log on the header has changed to that day of the week, but the programming has not changed.

I've corrected the problem. Let me know if it acts up again.

BTW, I'm preparing a new way of presenting the specialty & digital channels. They'll be grouped into categories so we can better view the day's primetime schedule. I beleive there's just too much channels right now and splitting them up will help the page become lesss cluttered..

Here's the new categories:
    News & Learning (CLT, CBC Newsworld, Doc Channel, ...)
    Kids/Teens/Families (YTV, TreeHouse, Family Channel, ...)
    Oldies (TV Land, Dejaview, ...)
    Sports (TSN, SportsNet, Score, ...)
    Mixed Bag (Space, SexTV, etc)
    Music (MM, MMM, ...)
    Multicultural (ATN, OMNI, ...)
    Movies (TMN, MC, Showcase Action, SuperChannel, Movieola, ...)
    Religious (CTS, VisionTV, ...)
    HD (HD channels that have a unique schedule like Oasis, Discovery HD, ...)

Feel free to comment if you think I should add more categories or rename some that are there.

In other news, CTV will probably release their premiere dates tomorrow or early next week. As for CBC, probably next week.

Also, I'll be presenting a few fall tv show previews in the coming days. I've also asked a few people to do reviews to be posted on the site. There's nothing official now but just a heads up of whats coming.
    Randi Dertzo

CTV may have some problems with their schedule for the premieres thanks to ABC scheduling Dancing with the Stars for 3 nights for the first week

I think we will see CTV do this

Monday Sept 24th
    8:00PM: Dancing with the Stars (Simulcast ABC) *PREMIERE
    9:30PM: Corner Gas *PREMIERE
    10:00PM: CSI Miami (Simulcast CBS) *PREMIERE

Tuesday Sept 25th
    7:00PM: Gossip Girl (PRE-Release The CW) *PREMIERES SEPT 18th
    8:00PM: Dancing with the Stars (Simulcast ABC)
    9:30PM: TBA
    10:00PM: Law and Order SVU (Simulcast NBC) *PREMIERE

Wednesday Sept 26th
    7:00PM: Private Practice (PRE-Release ABC) *PREMIERE
    8:00PM: Dancing with the Stars (Simulcast ABC)
    9:00PM: Criminal Minds (Simulcast CBS) *PREMIERE
    10:00PM: CSI New York (Simulcast CBS) *PREMIERE

Thursday Sept 27th
    7:00PM: ER (PRE-Release NBC) *PREMIERE
    8:00PM: CSI (PRE-Release CBS) *PREMIERE
    9:00PM: Grey's Anatomy (Simulcast ABC) *PREMIERE
    10:00PM: Big Shots (Simulcast ABC) *PREMIERE

Friday Sept 28th
    8:00PM: Ghost Whisperer (Simulcast CBS) *PREMIERE
    9:00PM: Moonlight (Simulcast CBS) *PREMIERE
    10:00PM: Without a Trace (POST-Release CBS) *PREMIERE

Sunday Sept 30th
    8:00PM: Cold Case (PRE-Release CBS) *PREMIERE
    9:00PM: Desperate Housewives (Simulcast ABC) *PREMIERE
    10:00PM: Dirty Sexy Money (POST-Release ABC) *PREMIERE

With Pushing Daisies premiereing Tuesday October 2nd at 8:00PM in PRE-Release from ABC

Hi. Just to let you know that your Showcase Diva PDF schedule is wrong. It might still have some program from last season. Charmed for one is still there while I think it should be Melrose Place. Didn't check anything else but I think Melrose is suppose to be weekdays at 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Hi. Just to let you know that your Showcase Diva PDF schedule is wrong. It might still have some program from last season. Charmed for one is still there while I think it should be Melrose Place. Didn't check anything else but I think Melrose is suppose to be weekdays at 8pm.
    Well, after checking with them it appears that the schedule posted is correct for... two weeks, then a new schedule adding Melrose Place @ 7pm, pushing CSI: Miami to 8pm, taking the place of Charmed will take effect October 8th, 2007.

Click here to view the updated schedules.
    Last edited by Randi; 08-13-2007 at 07:03 PM.
    Randi Dertzo

First I want to say that I really like the new presentation, good job. Your hard work is appreciated :)

A quick question, maybe I am just not seeing it, but can I find the CourtTV schedule anywhere there?