Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TMZ Report: Jay Leno's 10:00PM show cancelled, moving back to 11:30

from www.TMZ.com

We've learned Jay's 10:00 PM show will go on hiatus February 1. After the Olympics, Jay will take back his 11:30 PM time slot. What has not been decided -- whether Jay's show will be a half hour, followed by Conan, or whether Jay's show will be an hour and NBC says sayonara to Mr. O'Brien.

We're told Jay and Conan have both been told of the changes. As for Jay, interestingly, he'll get what he always wanted -- his 11:30 PM time slot.

Can't say i'm surprised here, Jay Leno's show has been doing just awful at 10:00PM and it was hurting local NBC affiliates 11:00PM newscasts.

That being said, how is NBC going to find 5 hours of primetime programming? Their schedule is a complete and total disaster already, now they need 5 hours in primetime?

Here in Canada, Citytv must be worried as they will also need to find 5 hours to fill. Although Citytv can't be happy with Jay Leno's ratings either, it's better than VH1 reality shows.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I'm not suprised that his show was cancelled, the ratings were terrible! Maybe NBC could make the 10 PM block for locals, like FOX and The CW has. I'm sure affiliates like WHDH would be happy.

Maybe Citytv can prove that they can produce a full newscast outside of Toronto by having their stations do a newscast at 10 PM? Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary wouldn't have any competition so it's a win win for Citytv.

Manitoba has Global's Prime News and BC has CHEK's 10 PM newscast (with Tony Parsons soon).

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Maybe Citytv can prove that they can produce a full newscast outside of Toronto by having their stations do a newscast at 10 PM? Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary wouldn't have any competition so it's a win win for Citytv.

Manitoba has Global's Prime News and BC has CHEK's 10 PM newscast (with Tony Parsons soon).
    From what I hear Rogers "may" bring a weekday evening news program back to Alberta stations. As for Winnipeg and Vancouver; Winnipeg is becoming more as after thought by Rogers and as for Vancouver, they still consider it a valuable station, but there no determination that they could beat Global BC rateings no mater how much money the can pour into the station.

As for the Jay Leno show; I think both NBC and Rogers would be glad to forget about this programme.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 01-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    but there no determination that they could beat Global BC rateings no mater how much money the can pour into the station.
    Global BC doesn't have a evening newscast at 10 PM though, so Citytv wouldn't have any competition against anyone besides CHEK. It is smart move to start newscast at 10 PM in these markets, but I am worried that CHEK would beat CKVU at 10 PM. The Citytv outside of Toronto needs to have a evening newscast if it wants to be considered a serious source for local news. Having just BT doesn't cut it.

At first thought a 10:00PM newscast sounds good but remember that in Alberta Citytv airs The Jay Leno Show at 8:00PM local time (since they air simulcast programming from 9:00PM-11:00PM) so they wouldn't be able to do a 10:00PM newscast in Edmonton or Calgary. In Winnipeg The Jay Leno Show airs at 9:00PM local time. So it would really only be a 10:00PM newscast in Toronto & Vancouver.

I really don't know why they would consider going back to evening news in Edmonton or Calgary, since CTV and Global killed Citytv in both markets back when they still had local news, it would be the same as them trying to compete in Vancouver (the only difference is CTV and Global are more even in Edmonton & Calgary compared to Vancouver)

Global BC doesn't have a evening newscast at 10 PM though, so Citytv wouldn't have any competition against anyone besides CHEK. The Citytv outside of Toronto needs to have a evening newscast if it wants to be considered a serious source for local news. Having just BT doesn't cut it.
    I agree, just having BT doesn't cut it. But the sense is they wouldn't be able to get viewers from Global BC or have enough viewers to justify the costs is why CKVU is in limbo. As for CHEK your probably right that CHEK could beat them out in ratings, however Rogers seems only focused on the lower mainland and not viewers from the Island.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I really don't know why they would consider going back to evening news in Edmonton or Calgary, since CTV and Global killed Citytv in both markets back when they still had local news, it would be the same as them trying to compete in Vancouver (the only difference is CTV and Global are more even in Edmonton & Calgary compared to Vancouver)
    From what I've been told its nothing more but talk at this point. But they feel confident that they could make inroads in Alberta where CHUM failed. But if that's good or bad is anyones guess.

CKVU used to be in second place in Vancouver. And after the CityPulse format came, they were almost dead last, only beating The New VI.

After The New VI ditched their younger-skewing format that the other NewNet and Citytv stations practices (and continues to this day), and introduced a popular anchor and a news desk, their ratings went up dramatically. Not enough to beat CHEK, but a lot better than before.

If they were willing to go back to a more conventional format, they might be able to make some inroads and regain their audience, however it wouldn't be anywhere near what they used to have.

The Citytv stations in Alberta have a noon hour newscast, I don't know how well the do against Global, but I'll assume Global is beating them badly, like how they're beating them in the mornings.

As for CHEK your probably right that CHEK could beat them out in ratings, however Rogers seems only focused on the lower mainland and not viewers from the Island.
    Yes CKVU is focused on the Mainland, and this is a problem. Viewers from the Lower Mainland would tune into CHEK to watch Tony Parsons anchor the news again (although Island-related news), and CKVU would be in deep trouble. The best they have is Mark Dochertry, and he is no Tony Parsons.
    Last edited by Emarsee; 01-07-2010 at 07:44 PM.

After The New VI ditched their younger-skewing format that the other NewNet and Citytv stations practices (and continues to this day), and introduced a popular anchor and a news desk, their ratings went up dramatically. Not enough to beat CHEK, but a lot better than before.
    Kind of sad when you gain more viewers with a person sitting behind a news desk than just standing.

If they were willing to go back to a more conventional format, they might be able to make some inroads and regain their audience, however it wouldn't be anywhere near what they used to have.

The Citytv stations in Alberta have a noon hour newscast, I don't know how well the do against Global, but I'll assume Global is beating them badly, like how they're beating them in the mornings.
    My biggest worries is that they may make the stations into a FOX News Lite approach to news. In other words; "the subtle altering of reality to sell a preconceived narrative" based on the current political climate where thoes stations are.

Yes CKVU is focused on the Mainland, and this is a problem. Viewers from the Lower Mainland would tune into CHEK to watch Tony Parsons anchor the news again (although Island-related news), and CKVU would be in deep trouble. The best they have is Mark Dochertry, and he is no Tony Parsons.
    Sounds like people more prefer the anchor than the news.

NBC has put out a press release saying they plan on keeping Conan

"We have the best comedy team in the business. We remain committed to keeping Conan O’Brien on NBC. He is a valued part of our late-night line-up, as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television."

They didn't mention anything about Jimmy Fallon.

NBC has put out a press release saying they plan on keeping Conan

"We have the best comedy team in the business. We remain committed to keeping Conan O’Brien on NBC. He is a valued part of our late-night line-up, as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television."

They didn't mention anything about Jimmy Fallon.
    They didn't mention that Conan would still be doing the 11:30 timeslot so all bets are still on.

They didn't mention that Conan would still be doing the 11:30 timeslot so all bets are still on.
    Exactly, they pretty much confirmed that Jay Leno is moving to 11:30 without saying it, if they didn't plan on moving Conan from 11:30 they would have said "We are committed to keeping Conan on at 11:30"

Exactly, they pretty much confirmed that Jay Leno is moving to 11:30 without saying it, if they didn't plan on moving Conan from 11:30 they would have said "We are committed to keeping Conan on at 11:30"
    So is Conan moving back to late night?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So is Conan moving back to late night?
    We don't know yet.

There are many possible scenarios floating around, one has Jay at 11:30 and Conan at 12, others have Jay at 11:30 on Tonight Show and Conan at 12:30 on Late Night.

Really I think the second one is what they should do, NBC was dominating with The Tonight Show with Jay from 11:35-12:35 and Late Night with Conan from 12:35-1:35, now they neck in neck with CBS, I know Conan may not like it but what NBC has now is not working, they should go back to what worked.

Another question I have is what is NBC going to fill the 5 hours with? Since CTV and Global have pretty much gave up on picking up NBC shows Citytv could simply just pick up whatever NBC puts there.

If Leno moves back to 11:30p, who will be happy?
    and who WON'T be ?

Interesting article here:
    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/07...y-except/38025
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Another question I have is what is NBC going to fill the 5 hours with? Since CTV and Global have pretty much gave up on picking up NBC shows Citytv could simply just pick up whatever NBC puts there.
    I mentioned before that they should simply give up. Give the 5 hours to the affiliates and let them compete with the Fox stations' 10 o'clock newscasts or let them fill it up with whatever they want.

I mentioned before that they should simply give up. Give the 5 hours to the affiliates and let them compete with the Fox stations' 10 o'clock newscasts or let them fill it up with whatever they want.
    I agree it's a good idea although so far it looks like NBC plans on replacing it with NBC programming.

I agree it's a good idea although so far it looks like NBC plans on replacing it with NBC programming.
    Like what?

New Scripted shows? Not enough pilots available.
    Series Reruns? Jay or reruns, same results, they lost the night anyways.
    Reality shows? There's no reality at such hour, but if they tried a talk show during primetime last fall, they can try reality shows...
    Old shows from the vault? Why not, could attract some nostalgic viewers. if they have broadcast rights, off course.

Gotta like speculations.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Old shows from the vault? Why not, could attract some nostalgic viewers. if they have broadcast rights, off course.
    It could work for them. However another radical option would be to find programming from one of their cable channels to pull into those slots.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the Leno show would be scaled down to 30 minutes and air at 11:35pm pushing Conan to 12:05am and Fallon to 1:05am. For Conan its like he never left his old job.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...no-not-yanked/

Would moving one or two 9pm shows on weaker nights to other nights at 10pm and airing blockbuster movies one or twice a week would be an option?
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

Would moving one or two 9pm shows on weaker nights to other nights at 10pm and airing blockbuster movies one or twice a week would be an option?
    Yeah, sounds like a plan to me- Bring Back Great Movies!! (How's that for nostalgia, a taste of the 'old' Citytv within the new Citytv ;))