Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Hybrid View

Call for comments

In an effort to end the off-topic discussion currently going on in "NFL and CTV Extend Multi-Year Broadcast Deal Through SUPER BOWL XLVIII" thread, IMve started this one in the hope we can find a solution to cut down on network bashing currently going on. I don't mind people bashing the networks, I have a problem seeing the same bashing going on almost every network release. Hopefully we can find a solution that will satisfy every partys.

to recap:

From toinfo
    I agree that the quality of the forums have taken a hit because of all the network bashing. I still check in because sometimes I find something new I want to watch (often thanks to press releases or schedule updates posted by TVViewer or Everfresh), but seriously - there should be one "I don't like simsubbing" thread that I (and the rest of the membership outside the four or five that like to debate it ad nauseum) can easily ignore.
    From Emarse
    Agreed. I hate to bring up the competition, but Digital Home has a thread dedicated to CRTC bashing. I don't see why we can't have threads dedicated to simsub bashing, CRTC bashing, NFV bashing, etc.
    From TVViewer
    I agree with tofino and emarsee that there should be a single thread where these people can rant and vent all they want about the Canadian broadcasters. This forum would be a much better place if the bashing was done in a simple single thread instead of in a reply to almost every single press release and programming highlight.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

GREAT IDEA. Thanks Randi, this will make all the thread much lighter in tone and more interesting.

Exactly. It's sad what these people have done to this forum.
    I have been a long time lurker on this forum, since its early days, but have only posted for a short while now. Just an observation here but it appears that things have heated up ever since this TV Viewer fellow came onboard and started the debate on the whole FFC issue. Everything was fine before hand as I recall from reading posts here from time to time so maybe he/she should step back for a while until things cool down or better yet until the CRTC rules on the FFC/Value for signal issue?! Nothing against this user (everyone is entitled to an opinion) but most of the animosity or negativity if you will appears to be directed at this one user.

Thoughts?!

CDNViewer, I have been a member of this forum since 2006. There was few hostile debates at this forum before the Fee for Carriage debate because many of the regular members we have now joined after the Fee for Carriage debate started. Anyways this thread is about trying to stop the constant replies from members blatantly bashing CTV and Global in nearly every press release or programming highlight that get's posted.

As you can clearly see, tofino, Emarsee, and myself all think that there should be a single thread where members can complain about Canadian broadcasters and simulcasts, instead of having them reply to every thread with a negative comment that turns into a hostile debate.

So what does everyone else think? Is this a good idea?
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I wouldn't mind having a single thread devoted to the issues where discussions can be extremely heated and polarized. I would welcome that, it would make reading and discussing relevant issues much easier. :D

I think this is a good idea, it seems sometimes that discussions on other topics seem to get railroaded and end up in a FFC/local TV bashing debate. I respect everyone has an opinion on this and sometimes the discussion is very worthwhile. However when it ends up in attacking people for their opinion that doesn't do anything positive and makes regulars like me less willing to post or even read what others have posted.

I would suggest a completely different thread and keep channel or programming specific discussions separate

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    (...) many of the regular members we have now joined after the Fee for Carriage debate started. Anyways this thread is about trying to stop the constant replies from members blatantly bashing CTV and Global in nearly every press release or programming highlight that get's posted.
    If I understand you well,

- It is NOT ok to bash CTV and Global.
    - It is ok to bash CityTV.
    - It is ok to bash service providers (Rogers, BellTV, Shaw)
    - It is ok to bring back the FFC topic whenever you want:

http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...4&postcount=47
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    And good for Shaw for doing the right thing, although I still think they should pay for what they use, they deserve credit for providing their subscribers with Canada's #1 network. :)
    (Note: that quoted message has been posted "02-10-2010, 06:24 PM" so after this thread was started)

Could we review what is allowed and what isn't ?
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Hey gang,

Just to pipe in and give you guys some perspective from Randi and I's view. We started this forum as a supplement to ChannelCanada.com to give people somewhere to chat about Canadian TV issues in a more relaxed atmosphere. We noticed that most of the other forums out there were either owned by the networks themselves or dealt with TV as a sideline to their other forums.

We decided going in that we would moderate with a lighter touch, again some of the other forums dealt out quite heavy moderation and the owners of them would often impose their own viewpoints on the boards, removing anything they didn't agree with and banning posters who didn't fall within their narrow guidelines.

This is why you don't see us stepping in that often to close threads, etc. We will step in when needed but in general we are fine with letting posters express their opinions as they see fit. Now that being said however, we both do feel that some have been getting a bit out of control with it which is the reason for this thread.

When it comes to press releases we don't really mind them being posted as they are relevant to the forums purpose in life, however we are seeing some that are already posted on ChannelCanada.com showing up, so we don't really need them on both sites. I like the suggestion that releases posted here are marked with [PR] in the title as this helps identify them.

As for station/network bashing, I myself am quick to critique the networks and stations, as long as the criticism is generally constructive I don't see an issue with it. We know that these corporations read our forum posts, we see it in our logs, they visit often. Do they listen to us? Well likely they at least hear our voices. Keep in mind that we're a small part of their audience but it is often the small voices that help them understand what the many in the audience is feeling.

Make sure you give kudos where it is due as well, our broadcasters aren't perfect by any means but sometimes they do get things right and we need to commend them for doing that.

A few years ago I made some suggestions to Movie Central that seemed to get implemented a few months later, at the time I made the suggestions they were quite poor a service. They had a voice guy who had a high pitched sound and their intermissions were terrible with chopped up movie previews rather than trailers. I suggested they start making more use of the readily available movie trailers, they get someone with a deeper voice to give the channel more "oomph", etc .. well a few months later that is exactly what happened with the channel. Was it me that brought about those changes? I don't know, but it was a change for the better at the time, it wasn't perfect but it was an improvement. If it was me, umm, sorry to whomever was the voice guy as he likely had to find another job .. although I suspect it was likely someone who played other roles at the company anyway, might have been the guy who was with WIC for a long time anyway since I believe he also was doing the ITV announcements.

Anyway, the point is here that we allow opinions to be voiced and we are in agreement that some members here seem to be making an attempt to drown out other opinions with their own by constantly rehashing their own viewpoints over and over again in any relevant threads. So please, state your opinion and let others state theirs. If you wish to post more to the thread that is relevant feel free, but if it is the same stuff you basically posted earlier in the tread then let it be since your opinion has already been said.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tripster; 02-11-2010 at 12:07 PM.

As I asked in another thread, is it possible to give out your opinion once and let the thread evolve? Currently, all messages are being responded by TVViewer who keeps hammering the same answer repeatly, regardless of what you wrote in your reply. This gets annoying, you get a feeling that whatever you say is worthless and you should shut up... and name calling becomes the norm.

Check out the messages in the same thread, they all states " they sold out ad time". OK, we heard you the first time, is it necessary to repeat 6 times an information founded on an undated source (and without a reference link)?

http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...0&postcount=29
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...2&postcount=31
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...5&postcount=39
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...7&postcount=41
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...0&postcount=43
    http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...5&postcount=46

That's the problem we have on the forum.

Off course, in the case of the Superbowl, when you receive the info that you'll be stuck with canadian ads for the next 3 years, your reaction will be "damn, I won't get to see US ads that everyone wants to watch". If the person who defends CTV would have posted ONCE, the thread would have been fine and moved on. But as you noticed, it ain't the case.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.