Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: Space Hd

Space Hd

To me its makes no sense there is no space hd.This is a channel that is loaded with good shows most have a very solid following and all or most shows are avaible in hd.

Although I don't particularly care about Space in HD or SD, it does seem strange that Space isn't in HD yet. It seems as though it would be one of those natural fits for HD. But, what do you expect from CTV though. They have 30 specialty channels, yet only 4 of them are in HD, and 3 of those are sports.

Definitely .. until then they can count me out of watching ANYTHING on Space because I download the HD versions of the shows I want that they air. Give it to me in HD and DD5.1 and I'll gladly add them to the PVR .. note I won't be watching the commercials though :)

Even before SyFy went HD I tended to watch things from there rather than on Space, I find that Space's SD feed is horrible even when on Starchoice who were sourcing from CHUM's transponder at the time. It was ugly from the source.

WNLO just started S1 of Stargate Universe in HD. Although it's a season behind it's pretty sad that I can watch a sci-fi show like that for free in HD when people paying for Space are stuck with SD.

The amount of HD available in Canada is pathetic. Heck we don't even have NHL Network in HD. Figure that one out. CTVgm hasn't launched an english HD channel since 2003 (7 years ago!!!). I don't count TSN2 because it's a 1/10 of a channel IMO.

Add Much Music, Family Channel and YTV to that.

You have Canadian cable channels that date back to the early-1980's like Much Music (which WOULD have benefited from HD when they were still playing music about 3 or 4 years ago!) as well as early-1980's-launched Family Channel not broadcasting in HD in late-2010. YTV is a basic cable channel and launched in 1988.

Mainly, it's a CTV/Global problem. Their roster of HD channels are pathetic.

If you're a Rogers subscriber and take a surf at the HD French HD channels in the 600 range, you'll see Astral has launched an HD version of practically all channels.

Meanwhile, no HGTV HD or Food Network HD; two extremely popular channels that have been around since the 1997.

Even a crappy upstart company like World Fishing Network (WFN) can launch a.) niche channel and b.) do it in HD and have BDUs carry it!
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lukebenward View Post
    Add Much Music, Family Channel and YTV to that.

You have Canadian cable channels that date back to the early-1980's like Much Music (which WOULD have benefited from HD when they were still playing music about 3 or 4 years ago!) as well as early-1980's-launched Family Channel not broadcasting in HD in late-2010. YTV is a basic cable channel and launched in 1988.

Mainly, it's a CTV/Global problem. Their roster of HD channels are pathetic.

If you're a Rogers subscriber and take a surf at the HD French HD channels in the 600 range, you'll see Astral has launched an HD version of practically all channels.

Meanwhile, no HGTV HD or Food Network HD; two extremely popular channels that have been around since the 1997.

Even a crappy upstart company like World Fishing Network (WFN) can launch a.) niche channel and b.) do it in HD and have BDUs carry it!
    I could understand if a channel was not doing well.However to have very successful channels that are not in hd makes zero sense.I am sure there are lots of people that like space but with no hd won't watch it.If there was a hd space and food etc these channels would be much more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I could understand if a channel was not doing well.However to have very successful channels that are not in hd makes zero sense.I am sure there are lots of people that like space but with no hd won't watch it.If there was a hd space and food etc these channels would be much more successful.
    What bothers me is all the sports in HD, I do not watch sports channels but my cable bill keeps on increasing because they are adding more HD sports channels. They're the highest price channels but if I want the rest of the HD channels that do exist I'm stuck paying for the sports feeds too. The recent addition of Sportsnet One to Shaw means I'm sure to see a price hike for their HD Plus package yet again, it already went from $9 to $12 in the last few months and granted I gained OasisHD and HistoryHD but I'm still waiting for SpaceHD, FoodTV Canada HD, etc.

And yes, all the SD mainstays are highly profitable channels. I'm hoping that the recent movements from the corps are indicating they are finally going to make the big push and go HD with a lot of their services. But at the same time I'm hoping that we're not going to be forced to pay double for the services that do go HD, not without the option of dropping the SD feed since I generally don't watch any SD services as it is. We shouldn't be paying more for HD feeds of the same content beyond a base HD fee to the BDU for their extra bandwidth costs, which on cable isn't much since they just take an analog channel and convert it into 2 or 3 HD channels.

As others have mentioned CTV seems to be unnecessarily dragging their feet on launching HD versions of their specialty channels.

Look for MuchMusic to launch in HD shortly. As for Space - one can only guess. Pretty pathetic.

Definitely .. until then they can count me out of watching ANYTHING on Space because I download the HD versions of the shows I want that they air. Give it to me in HD and DD5.1 and I'll gladly add them to the PVR .. note I won't be watching the commercials though.

What he said.:D
    ________
    NEW JERSEY DISPENSARY
    Last edited by HT Gearhead; 03-21-2011 at 10:34 AM.

The main problem is only Rogers seems to be able to carry more HD channels. Most BDUs have little to no bandwidth left for more HD channels. It would be nice to be able to stream HD versions of TV shows online from CTV websites, similar to what US networks and specialty channels do. At least it would give people at least one avenue to get HD versions.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    Definitely .. until then they can count me out of watching ANYTHING on Space because I download the HD versions of the shows I want that they air. Give it to me in HD and DD5.1 and I'll gladly add them to the PVR .. note I won't be watching the commercials though.
    Ditto here.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

I honestly haven't watched anything on Space in years, I simply cannot handle the PQ and I noticed it when I had Starchoice and it was coming direct from CHUM's transponder, it was over-compressed right from the source. It's pretty sad when a HD sourced 350MB AVI from the internet ends up being a better picture quality than a feed direct from a broadcaster. And I still have the option of getting a 720p version if I desire but I find the SD version to be just fine, I mean it isn't like we get DD5.1 from Space either.

Honestly, this dragging their heels is getting tired. Most of the top French specialties in Quebec are already HD. All of the top US cable channels, and many of the lesser channels are HD. Heck the entire suites of HBO, Cinemax, SHO, Starz and Encore are HD.

And the sad part is, if we had ANY of those channels here for the broadcasters to compete with they'd have converted long ago, but without that competition they drag it out as long as they can. If we didn't have the US networks on cable we wouldn't even have network television in HD yet.

And yeah yeah, I know .. someone here will soon pipe up with "it's expensive to upgrade!" .. almost all these channels are turning healthy profits with some only spending like 25% of earnings on programming. There are no excuses really other than being cheap and not giving a shit about the viewers they serve.

Face it. The telecom industry in Canada has us by the balls. It's a cartel, and they collectively have no interest in making things better.

I'd advocate foreign (US) competition, but that's pretty much selling your soul to the devil to fix a toothache. Nothing a good dentist can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    Face it. The telecom industry in Canada has us by the balls. It's a cartel,
    If you can't bring yourself to cancel your service for OTA/internet at least drop a package or tier.

Going to an alt internet provider like Teksavvy is good. And PLEASE don't get your home phone from cable/Bell - that's the easiest thing we should all be doing

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    To me its makes no sense there is no space hd.This is a channel that is loaded with good shows most have a very solid following and all or most shows are avaible in hd.
    I asked SPACE this question once, and they said they didn't have the technical expertise or budget for it... yeah, OK, whatever...