Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Viewers.ca: The best forum around!

Compared to DHC, Viewers.ca is the best forum around.

Here's my story: Back in march while TVViewer was just pissing me off constantly, and following a few comments I read here about DHC, I told myself it shouln't be THAT bad, so I went there, subscribed, participated in a few threads, etc.

During summer, after a few messages I read about TMN subscribers complaining it's always the same movies in rotation, I started a thread listing the new movies of the month with weekly updates. Due to the forum's setting that you cannot edit your own message after 2 hours, I sent a private message to a moderator asking if I could get special access to edit my old messages. He replied to check the Feedback forum. In that section, a message says that regular users cannot do shit while "supporters" can do everything. I ain't gonna make a friggin' donation to access a feature, so screw it! I'm not gonna write a feedback in a public forum begging for a special feature. So I started a new thread here on viewers.ca

2 days ago, I posted a message about the season premiere of NCIS mocking canadians. The next day, I get a private message: "Infraction: Inappropriate Language". What? Message says "You have received an infraction for the following post because you have broken a serious rule on the forum." and the whole message I wrote was copy/pasted, and I lost 4 demerit points over a total of 10. Huh? Message fails to point out the offending word or phrase. I asked, got a cold reply with only one word: SHIT. Turns out, I wrote "Who wrote that shit?" in sarcasm reffering to the episode writer. Laughable, you can hear such expression every day on television, how could I have offended someone? Such prudes. I told them I'm a team player, so go on and remove 5 demerit points instead of 4.

Today, I posted a message in the TMN thread I started, and said I discontinue the updates due to forum limitations and recent events. 2 hours later, the thread is gone, disappeared, *poof*, and when I visit my User CP, I see the following message:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

C'mon! They couldn't tell me in one single message what the offending word was, and now they can't even tell me why I've been banned. Lack of honesty, maybe?

So, I've been following Channel Canada for many years, registered 3 times throught the website changes over the years, subscribed to viewers.ca since 2008, we have great informations, great debates, piss-off contests over small details and points of view, and after all these years and all the conversations we had, I do agree that viewers.ca is a great place for TV-related conversations with such wide open freedom and so much relaxed rules, Thanks for being there. Kudos!
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Yeah, Hugh Thompson and his cronies run a tight ship over there. Many that I know have been banned for no reason for life. They do re-register though with a different user name after obtaining a different IP address.

I haven't seen any posts here ever removed (but I'm sure some have for very good reasons like deliberate threats or something along those lines). But even after all the debates about Canadian networks not producing enough Canadian content, most threads remained in tact regarding that subject.

Digitalhome does have more topics besides TV though, so that's why it probably gets more users.

Thanks for the site commendation. We do strive to keep the moderating to a minimum and we only step in when it gets too heated and personal. Really that isn't too often, although we know some folks don't see eye to eye on things in general we find that it is rare we need to step in.

We feel people should be free to speak their minds and we do remain focused mostly on the "viewers" part of things by sticking to TV topics in general. DHC is a different ball of wax and they cover more topics and areas than we do, generally I agree that Hugh and his gang run things a bit too tight at times which alienates some regulars on those forums, but it is his site and he can dictate how he wants it run. I suspect a lot of his rules are to not scare off potential ad revenues, we don't really have ad revenues beyond what you see from Google on our sites. We've tinkered with our own ad system in the past and it generally wasn't worth the effort which is why we settled on mostly using Google for delivery since that allows those who wish to place ads on our sites full control over where they are shown and in what areas of the country they get shown.

Forums are always a tough sell for advertisers since it can mean their ads are shown on pages that might be criticizing their companies or are all out flame wars where they'd rather not be shown at all. We have a secondary ad network that we use sometimes and they won't even allow their ads on forums. So they are a tough sell for advertisers, we don't make a huge amount from the forums that's for sure :)

I here ya InMontreal,

I got some bogus infraction from them too a while back and like you said they don't even bother explaining why you got the dumb infraction?! Clearly the guy running the site is a prick (check out his mug in today's G&M, you'll see what I mean) and runs his site like a dictatorship. Frankly this whole 'infraction' system he has put in place is stupid and childish IMO. I have been a member of many boards on the net and have yet to encounter anything like what exists on DH. I still cannot figure out why you were 'banned for life', pathetic to say the least! Didn't that forum almost shut down a while back, now I can see why.

Anyway, I second your notion that this is the best TV forum. While it does not have as many members as the other, it does have a good core group of members who post regularly and engage in some good discussions. It would be nice if there were more active discussions but based on the current state of the TV industry in Canada, there isn't a whole lot to talk about these days. I like the fact that there is no time limit on editing posts, especially since I have put up lists for various things and this system allows me to update things every now and then and keep the info current.

InMontreal, forget that 'other' forum and stay here where you are welcomed and treated with respect and don't have to worry about infractions. :)

Viewers.ca Rocks!

I agree that this is the best Canadian TV discussion board. The only reason that I post on DHC is for Shaw Direct information and because it seems that there are more people over there to discuss sports with than there are here. I honestly expect to get an infraction or a ban sometime for no particular reason.

And you guys really wanna know what I hate about it, you can't link to ChannelCanada.com. So if Randi posts a great article and someone wants to reference it at DHC, they can't because the link is flagged as spam. That kind of sensorship is over the top.

And I agree that the core here (Randi, Tripster, TVViewer, InMontreal, Classof83, SportsFan, CDN Viewer, Everfresh and anyone else who I'm forgetting) all have varying views and I feel that there is a good balance on most topics.

This is easily one of my top 2 discussion boards and the other is one that I'm a moderator at and is run by a guy from my hometown, so I'm a bit biased on that.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    And you guys really wanna know what I hate about it, you can't link to ChannelCanada.com. So if Randi posts a great article and someone wants to reference it at DHC, they can't because the link is flagged as spam. That kind of sensorship is over the top.
    Yeah I don't get this. Is there some sort of rivalry between DHC and ChannelCanada?

From DHC's view there is, but its just because of the way its run. They don't like to acknowledge anything that could be perceived as competition. However, as you can tell I can easily post a link to DHC from here (mods please remove the link if you don't want it)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/10/gl...s-vod-service/

So, I checked back the forum today, I come to the conclusion that the moderation level is too high, it's annoying. Example...

- Any thread about Cisco/Scientific Atlanta receivers gets automatically a 57 reply that basically says there's a thread about it in the Rogers section. Every time. Annoying.

- Someone starts a new thread about channel compression, 57 replies it's your signal. Period. Thread locked.

- Legitimate question: Bell express vu is too expensive. Can I get plug another receiver to the dish to get free-to-air or OTA channels? Unwritten reply: Oh, look, a wannabe pirate. Thread locked.

- Channel is missing from the Guide (probably because of satellite alignment). Reply: go to the PDF of the channels list. Thread locked.

- New channel launched. I wanna know if that provider will carry it. 3 choices:
    a) Post it in the provider's sticky New Channels Discussion. Bad idea: it will be removed 'coz the channel hasn't been announced by the provider.
    b) Post a new thread about it in the provider's section: Bad idea. It will be locked because there's already a thread about the channel in the sports section, or the television industry, or the specialties section. Channel applies to all sections.
    c) Post it in one of the 3 abovementionned sections. It will be deleted or locked because you should have posted it in the provider's section.

And I could go on with other examples, but I won't waste my time about that forum.

Thanks for the freedom of speech on Viewers.ca. People can ask the right question, the wrong question, or just not clear enough, but at least we don't treat them all as dirty pirates and parasites.

I do like this forum which I don't usually go on sites like these but I am
    also a huge wrestling fan but I kinda like talking about sitcoms a lot more
    in recent years to but again there is a suggestion I want to give you guys.

Could you please add more themes to choose from for the forum because
    I find this one hard to see at times but I get over it.

LOL. User Musimax tried to explain and give his opinion in the DHC forum about Sun News Network removal from Bell, where we have to determine if the signal is OTA or specialty, which is relevant in the discussion. See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=140021

Apparently, forum owner Hugh does not agree with musimax's opinion so he basically told him that he's going a little off topic so go to another section of the forum. Admins telling you indirectly to shut the hell up.

On page 2, we can read "I encourage members to contact Bell and let them know if you are or are not willing to pay extra for Sun TV."
    Yeah, ok, but on ANY other thread posted by users, everytime someone suggests to others to contact a company, rally together for a cause, or express their disagreement with the service, they get a warning and a reminder to go read the forum rules. Infringing your own rules?